Wednesday 13 April 2016

LOVE LIKE POISON

#Purplenigmers

Love like Poison

It wasn’t love at first sight
When together we took the first bite
Clinging to each other
With nothing to bother

We savored each moment
Survived each torment.
Or was it I who survived
Then let us divide?

Soft, kind, gentle, sweet
Crafty, blind and incomplete.
Whatever it was
I felt the buzz,
The razzmatazz,
The blind beauty of love.

It was a euphoric feeling
Sensual prescription for my healing
I took it all in
And let it engulf my being

Like a shot of heroine
It burned through my veins
It gave me a high
That wasn’t genuine

In a blink of an eye
They came rolling by.
The stories I ignored,
The rumors I barred.

But your words
Oh!
Those words
From your two edged sword
That glazed my injuries with nothing but mud


Sweet, soothing, sharp and cold.
Each day you opened my sore
With your sword of gold.
I grew numb and senseless
Each cut became painless

I felt nothing
Not pain, not gain
Not the bounce in my mane.
This was it,
I was going insane!

But like a friend I stood by
Listening to the lies,
Watching you swear to the sky and
Knowing in my heart it was all but a guise.

It was time now to let go
I was at the end of the line.
As that love once divine
Was never truly mine.

Standing under the frozen sun and
Gaping at the icy moon.
I realized I was reborn
As light as a balloon

I had dropped the weight
Outside the gate
And under the sun
Saw I the damage done

Then it hit me
That love I thought rosy
Wasn’t even a daisy
It never felt cozy

A burning desire
Led me to that fire
That burns so hot
Without you knowing

That love like poison
Slowly took away reason
And nearly left me frozen

Alas!
Everything has a season
And sometimes love begets treason
But this love, like poison
Which might have no medicine
Remains everlasting
Yes! Without season.



-SAW      
Afe Babalola University
Law,  400 level                         

No comments:

Post a Comment