Saturday 14 January 2017

THE RENAISSANCE OF DESENSITIZATION

'The Renaissance of Desensitization 1/6'

This morning I woke up and the first thing I reached for was my phone, it was a sort of subconscious process. I then spent 10 minutes browsing instagram and another 5 on Facebook where I read about the Brazilian team that died in flight. I went and showered; thereafter I started my prayer and mid-way through such my phone rang, I broke prayer turned it off then resumed praying.

As I got up a notification popped up on my screen it was a CNN broadcast of a supposed
act of terrorism, my mind and spirit sunk. I got into my car and began driving whilst contemplating all that I've mentally consumed upon waking up. A few minutes into driving I was passing a high school and a kid (no older than 13) walked out into the road whilst engaging with his phone. I almost hit him, luckily I was only going about 20km per hour. I slammed on the brakes, he glanced at me while partially in the road then scuttled across the street; seemingly unfazed he carried on just the same, head to phone, mind consumed, zombie mode intact.

It brought back memories of all the videos and photos I've seen on social media with people fighting, crying and even dying while others record and snap photos whilst scrambling for the best angle and lighting; some even encourage it all for the sake of likes, views and status. This is not humanity, it is depravity. A super imposed ideology which has torn down the very foundation of our morality. We are becoming what we aren't,  dying while living.  We are the living dead.


Written by:
Akinluyi Jeff
© PURPLE WRITERS

No comments:

Post a Comment