Friday 31 March 2017

BIG FOR YOUR BOOTS (EPISODE 2): LUCKY BENJI!


CHAPTER 2
I would love to say from that moment on we became best friends but that would be a lie. While I did like Ben, his parents lack of concern about PG ratings and his collection of corny horror movies, I knew from the get-go that being his friend would lead to complications. I am a simple man. Movies, food and an internet connection would keep me happy for about as long as can be. I am generally averse to anything that would interrupt the peace and quiet of my life and after that first afternoon with Ben, I was sure those sweet nothing-filled days were coming to an end.

Ben was the typical igbo boy, fair skin, light brown eyes and a head full of dark hair with sideburns to match. Although we were the same age, he was always a bit on the heavy side. After middle school, Ben got into field athletics: shot put, javelin and hammer throw. He was good at it because he was strong like a cow and had the lack of focus to match. His entire pre-competition prep was making sure he knew where to aim the shot. Other would practice their technique while Ben would eat a half bunch of bananas, memorise the field and nod thoughtfully at anything his posse (i.e. me) would have to say.
“Okay Ben, you got to keep your elbow up. For the follow-through you know? Get all the height you can. And don’t aim at any people”
“Uhun. i got it”
“Really? Because that’s what you said last time and you beaned Mr Okoro in the leg from 50 yards out. So one more time just for posterity, remember that you don’t get extra points for hitting the man with the tape rule”
“I dont?” he replied with an incredulous expression on his face “So why does he wear red? Like a a bonus target?”
“Not a bonus target you sweet stupid boy. He wears red precisely so no one would throw something at him.”
After nearly a minute’s consideration, he replied “Well its a stupid rule.”
“That may well be but it doesn't change the fact that you don’t aim for Mr Okoro. And also stop eating the peel, you look ridiculous”
“But I heard its a great source of potassium.”
“The banana is! Not the peel Benji”
“But isn’t the peel part of the banana? You know for all your smart talk, you sure are dumb Luck”
And with that he would stand up, pat my shoulder like I was a “special” kid and walk out of the preparation tent.

I would always watch his matches from the north side of the field because it gave the perfect view of the throwing fields and the emergency exits. This may seem paranoid to you but after 3 years of being Benji’s friend, it was prudent information to have. I could see Benji talking to a couple of cheerleaders while waiting for his turn to throw chunks of metal through the air. I took the time left to me to regard my progress in the gym in the reflection of the mirrored glass in the office window next to me. I was still a couple inches shorter than him. At 5”7” and 157 pound I didn’t think that was too shabby. I was still a long way off the greek statue physique I would have liked to have but thankfully far from the soft pudgy child I was. The low-cut fade with the obscure rock band t-shirt, steel rings glittering on my fingers, black steel frame glasses and my favourite pair of vans on my feet, I looked like a nerdy punk rock biker. I liked the sound of that and resolved to update my instagram bio. The sound of gravel crunching behind me startled me into turning around and straight into the right haymaker of Funsho Ibitoye. While Benji was big he was far from the biggest in Caleb College, that honour would go to the neanderthal in front of me. Funsho was a startling 6”3” with a near-constant 5 o’clock shadow around his ridiculously supervillain-like chin. Funsho wasn’t your typical bully in the sense that he wasn’t some cowardly boy who didn't get enough love as kid who handled it by lashing out. I remember the last kid who suggested that to his face, his teeth flew like popcorn from a dropped bag. Funsho whooped his ass like a father to a disrespectful child which ironically enough was how he viewed the rest of the school population. He believed he was better than everyone and was apparently not scared of getting expelled which would honestly never happen as his father was a major donor and sat on the school board. All this ran through my head like a wikipedia entry as his fist smashed into my face and threw me to the ground. From previous experience, I knew it was easier to stay on the ground rather than lash out.
“Ooowwwww. Good evening Funsho, did you want something?” “You know what I want Lucky boy. Hand over those nice shiny rings and I can be on my way”
“That’s it? That’s all you wanted? Why didn’t you just ask?” “I’m detecting a hint of impertinence in your tone but i’ll overlook it for now. I hit you simply because Fred here reminded me that I haven’t laid hands on you in almost a year and because of that you’ve started weight training to take me on?”
I peered around Funsho’s considerable bulk to the weasel that was Frederick Yakubu. His small beady eyes looked on in malice and glee at my apparent downtrodden state.
“Well no offense Funsho but you’re like a building with feet. No amount of training would make me comfortable about taking you on. And Frederick is a malicious little moron with delusions of grandeur. You want the rings? Take them.”
Getting painfully to my feet, I tugged the rings off my fingers and placed them in Funsho’s outstretched palm. Without warning and no noticeable change in his demeanour, Funsho swung his other fist behind him and hit Frederick square in the temple. Poor Freddie had no chance, he dropped like a sack of potatoes.
“Despite what the general consensus may be, I’m not some mindless brute. As long as everyone knows their respective lanes and pays due homage, all will be well.”
“Yeah well my jaw begs to differ”
Funsho’s booming laugh hit me like another punch “For what it's worth, I didn’t want to hit you. But your ego had to be checked. Well now you’ve learnt your place, there’s no need for further violence. Am I not a generous ruler?”
Still laughing he walked off and the rest of his goons picked up Fred and followed like obedient puppies.
I leaned against the window, closed my eyes and worked my jaw back and forth to loosen it and hopefully prevent swelling. As I was trying to determine if I heard my jaw click or not, I felt a shadow across my face.
“Look Funsho, I dont have anymore rings” “Why do you keep letting him do that to you?”
Hearing the calm in Benji’s voice immediately pulled all the tension back into my body.
“Look Benji, it's fine okay? This way is better for everyone and see its not even a problem”
As I was talking I pulled an identical set of rings from my back pocket and shuffled closer to block Benji’s view of Funsho sitting on the stands  behind him.
“ I always buy more than one set for stuff like this. And pain is an old friend so never mind it okay?”
“You could take him. Like you did David in JSS 3…”
I flinched at the name of the boy whose life I ruined. I had to pause for a while to regain my composure.
“No” I said softly “I won’t do that. Never again”. I stuck the new rings on my fingers and walked towards the car park. With an audible sigh, Benji fell into step beside me.
“How was the competition? Did you break your record?”
“Yup” He beamed proudly but his face fell immediately after “I couldn’t get the bonus points. There was a man in yellow this time and he was so quick! I threw three times but only clipped his heel once”
I looked at the great daft lummox, sighed and put my arm around his shoulder
‘You’ll get him next time buddy”


Written by :
Osawemde Edokpolor
© PURPLE WRITERS

No comments:

Post a Comment